Jan 10, 2015

Fallen gameplay II

Hello, boys and girls!

It is time to fulfill my promise and write about the design, maybe together we can find the answers.

Well. the main problem of roguelike development is "game design by professional programmers".
The infamous trap, mistaking technical flawless or mechanical details and gameplay.
The result, well. You know it:


 Okay, its oblivious that @ running all around isn't a game at all.
We have a lot space for the game here, aren't we?
 What I have learned the hard way:

 Filling empty space with "cool stuff" doesn't work.
Monsters and loot don't make The Roguelike and procedural generation isn't a panacea at all.
It is just a tool to add replayability and save precious programming hours.
But, tons of content, generated or hand made doesn't guarantee game experience. I don't say about "fun" game, I tell about just any game!
If fighting one monster in my game isn't fun, Why fighting 999999 monsters should be more interesting?
If discovering a single cave in my game is boring as hell, why I have to make another "Mom, look! I learned how to make fractal landscape!" demo?
NO! It is not an option!
But what I have to do?
My option: Cut it all!
0.2 version of Fallen was this raw, technical release.
Starting from 0.3 I am going to add a small piece of roguelike game play with every version.
What it would be?
First of all, the feel of controllable danger and feel of progress.
I'll write about it in 0.3 post.

No comments:

Post a Comment