Jun 25, 2015

Crafting interface upgrade




I have to confess, it was super annoying task!
A lot of small bugs, tiny problems, sharp edges of legacy code and so on.
But, it is a work that should be done if we want crafting as very important part of gameplay to be smooth and easy to use.

Game automatically selects items as tools and components, shows you what components are missing and allows to change a component.
Last feature is important, for example if you don't want to cut old jacket into straps, but your brand new fancy shirt. Obvious, isn't it?
Also, it took additional day to create new interface feature.
One of the downsides of writing your own engine for roguelike: need a feature, write it yourself.
As I mentioned before, it is highly unwise to create your own engine for a roguelike game.
Yes, there is one big plus in your own engine - you know it well and you can modify it whenever you like add any functionality you want, adapt it to your needs etc.
BUT!
1.  It will take time for your engine to mature and get rid of stupid bugs.
2.  Every hour spent on engine is an hour stolen from game itself.

This issues are eager to combine and wage a war on you togeather.
For example, you decide, my game we have great feature- thunderbolts will paralyze creatures and cook bread!
Nice, but then you get Access Violation for every thunderbolt  targeting iron golem on the left and no clue why does it happen?!

I have to admit, it is a lot of fun to create your own engine, but I would not do it again if I would start my development nowadays.


PS
I need interesting gameplay story to recover from such 'technical' job. ASAP! ^_^
Maybe food or work on radio a bit, or my favorite name generators? We will see, there a lot of interesting stories on our Trello board.

As usual, I'll update build this Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment